Original Location: New York City, New York
All electricals added by Wurlitzer. Wrap-around case, with an integral floor, manufactured by Wurlitzer.
The late Ruth Bornand, a well known music box connoisseur, dealer, and professional restorer, discovered the PianOrchestra in an Ice Cream Parlor somewhere in New York City. The circumstances under which the instrument was found are unknown, but it is presumed that the PianOrchestra was passed on to another collector because her interest was in classical cylinder and disc type music boxes.
It is unknown as to how Haning & White came into possession of the PianOrchestra. There was some minor restoration work of an unspecified nature regarding certain interior components during the time it was owned by Roy Haning and Neal White.
Additional minor restoration, cleaning, and tinkering of chests and other components was performed by Otto Carlsen during the short time the PianOrchestra was in his possession.
The case was refinished and minor adjustments were made by Terry Hathaway. The interior condition of the machine was very good, requiring little effort to have the instrument play admirably.
Only periodic minor adjustments and tinkering were administered while in the possession of Terry Hathaway.
Other than a reinforcing steel framework that was added to the backside of the piano, possibly by Gary Sage, of Pacific Grove, California, it is unknown the extent of any other restoration attempt while in the possession of Bill Wherry. Reportedly, additional pipework was added, and then removed when the PianOrchestra was sold.
It is unknown whether additional restoration work has been done to the PianOrchestra while in the Sanfilippo collection.
Information provided by Dave Bowers, Terry Hathaway and Art Reblitz.
Circa 1912 Wurlitzer catalogue; and Q. David Bowers.